profile_image
작성자 Joe
작성일 13-10-09 21:39

본문

Is Halloween That Bad?

By Joe Chung

Children’s Ministry Pastor, DKPC

?

Halloween is typically connected to the Celtic (Irish) festival of the dead called Samhain. The word Halloween is first found in the 16th century and represents a Scottish variant of the fuller All-Hallows-Even ("evening"), that is, the night before All Hallows Day. Although the phrase All Hallows is found in Old English (mass-day of all saints), All-Hallows-Eve is itself not used until 1556.

Halloween traditions

The Wearing Of Masks - The purpose of wearing a mask in most primitive religious traditions is to make a spiritual connection with the deity or the Nature Spirit represented by the mask. ... The mask would then have a spirit or magical power of its own .. it seems like the most natural thing, to use masking as a part of the Samhain Sabbat

The Jack O Lantern - "The pumpkin, an American vegetable, certainly symbolizes the season; but it is the candle inside the pumpkin that is of magical importance. The candle flame represents not only the element of Fire, but also the white light of pure spirit.

"Trick-Or-Treating" - "Trick-or-treating originated in Ireland when on the eve of Samhain, people would go house to house looking for food contributions to Muck Olla. The group was led by a man in a white robe with a horse-head mask. After him walked young men blowing cow horns. They would stop at each house recite some verses that told the farmer that his prosperity was due to Muck Olla and if he wishes to prosper he should make a contribution to the spirit. .. people in costumes and masks went begging from farm to farm, reciting verses that described the damage that spirits would do to a farmer's house or barn if the farmer refused to give something.

Does God have in opinion?

As Christians, we have to examine the Bible to determine if observing Halloween can glorify God or demean the church and dishonor Christ.

Since the origin of Halloween dates to the 16th century and God’s revelation was completed about 15 centuries prior to it, the Scriptures would not have anything directly to say about celebration. However, the Lord has provided some principals on how to respond to pagan traditions and cultural observances.

The Apostle Paul did not shy away from the philosophers and the religious of his day during his encounter at Areopagus (Acts 17). In fact, Paul said he became a servant to serve all to win more to the Gospel (1 Corinthians 9:19-23).

Reaching our culture may imply redeeming a day that has pagan origins so the light of Christ would shine (Matthew 5:14-16).

Concluding with a pastor of pastor’s opinion

John Piper is a pastor, teacher and theologian who I look up to for wisdom in many topics. Here is how he responded when?asked?:?What are your thoughts on Halloween?

It's kind of one of those questions of, "Do you see Christ against culture, Christ in culture, or Christ over culture?"

I would guess that at our church [Bethlehem Baptist Church - Minneapolis, MN) there would be people from one end of perspective to the other.

That is, some who say, "We don't want anything to do with that demonic holiday! Why would you even be involved with that at all?" And others who would have their children dress up as a butterfly and go knocking on doors and say, "Trick or treat!" And then in the middle would be people who do counter events, like a thing at the church where you dress up like biblical characters and have a great time.

I'm totally OK with the middle one and the first one. And sort of OK with the second one. I grew up trick-or-treating. We were pretty serious trick-or-treaters, right into teenage years.

There isn't much in my neighborhood. We're kind of an inner-city neighborhood, and it's not the most lucrative place to go knocking on doors. You're not going to fill your bag up with the best. You better go to the suburbs if you want to get a good pile.

So I would hope that all Christians would think biblically and carefully about any holiday, any event, and how they might be salt and light in it. And if they feel like this can be of value to the kids in some way, to teach them?if it can be an innocent way of enjoying God's grace and teaching lessons?so be it.

I'm willing to run the risk of attachment to worldliness in order to be biblically faithful in witness. The same thing with Christmas and birthdays and Easter and worshipping on Sunday. All of these things have pagan connections.

I want to be loose and broad and give freedom to believers to find their way to be most effective. So I respect those who are renouncing it as too connected with evil, and I respect those who say, "No, let's redeem it and penetrate it and use it."

?

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

http://www.spiritwatch.org/occhallow.htm

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/ask-pastor-john/what-are-your-thoughts-on-halloween

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.